Call/Text us at +61 484 608 589
Email us at

Training and Research Visa   arrow

Confident businesswoman explaining something to colleagues at meeting

Note: Training Visas have been changed by the Department of Immigration starting 19 November 2016.  This page will be revised accordingly.


The Training and Research (402) Visa is a temporary visa with 3 different streams or types:

  1. Occupational Trainee Stream – allows one to take part in a structured workplace based training to enhance skills in current occupation, area of study or field of expertise. To apply for this visa stream, one must be nominated by an approved training and research sponsor. This visa is valid for a maximum period of 2 years.
  2. Professional Development stream for professionals, managers or government officials invited to participate in a professional development training program in Australia, arranged by an employer outside Australia. This visa is valid for a maximum of 18 months.
  3. Research stream for professional academics invited to visit Australia to observe or participate in an Australian research project at an Australian tertiary or research institution. This visa is valid for a maximum of 12 months.

A 402 visa holder is allowed to:

  • Live in Australia for the duration of the training, research position or program
  • Do the training or activity specified in your visa application
  • Travel to and from Australia as many times as the holder wants until he/she is finished
  • participating in the program or the visa expires, whichever occurs first.
  • Visa holder under the Occupational Trainee or Research streams may bring his/her family.
  • Family members in the Occupational Trainee stream can work up to 40 hours per fortnight.
  • Family members in the Research stream might have unrestricted work rights.

For a FREE Visa Assesment, please click here!