Call/Text us at +61 484 608 589
Email us at

Parent Visa   arrow

Senior couple sitting on a bench

1. Parent (103) or Aged Parent (804) Visa

These visas allow a parent to:

  • Stay in Australia indefinitely
  • Work and/or study in Australia
  • Enrol in Medicare
  • Apply for Australian citizenship, after four years’ residence in Australia
  • Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • Eligible to receive social security payments after 2 years
  • Eligible to receive age or disability pension payments after 10 years

You must have a sponsor who is:

  • An Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen
  • Lived lawfully in Australia for the 2 years immediately before the application is lodged
  • Your sponsor must be your child, or your child’s spouse or de facto partner
  • Meet health and character requirements
  • Meet the balance-of-family test – At least half of your children live permanently in Australia, or that more of your children live permanently in Australia than in any other country
  • Willing to wait in a queue as this visa can take as long as 30 years to be decided

2. Contributory Parent Visa

The requirements of this visa and the entitlements of its holder are similar to those of Parent visa. However, a Contributory Parent Visa:

Has significantly shorter waiting periods, usually less than 2 years to be finalised
Has higher priority for processing application
Applicant pays a substantially higher second instalment of the visa application charge (per person) and a larger assurance of support (AoS) bond with longer AoS period

Types of Contributory Parent visas:

For applicants applying in Australia:

  • Contributory Aged Parent (Migrant) 864 visa
  • Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) 884 visa

For applicants outside Australia and in Australia if their visa allows them to lodge another application:

  • Contributory Parent (Migrant) 143 visa
  • Contributory Parent (Temporary) 173 visa

A parent can apply for either a permanent or a temporary contributory parent visa.
A temporary visa is valid for 2 years and cannot be extended or renewed. The visa holder is eligible for Medicare and may work.
A temporary contributory parent visa holder can then apply for the corresponding permanent contributory parent visa in Australia or overseas at any time during the 2 year validity of their temporary visa.

For a FREE Visa Assesment, please click here!